Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Global Warming

Oh, I know it's here. The fact that I have such a stuffy room at 4:30 in the morning is proof enough. The window's open wide, and there's a fan going on me, but I'm still sticky. My hair is so heavy - I wear it up at work now, in a ponytail or a bun, and I might just have to keep doing that when I'm off work, too. Plus I shed like a mofo. Hair everywhere.

I'm not the only one with the windows open. I hear things out there... sometimes it's drunk folk. Tonight, I heard screams. Fairly continuous screams. At first I was alarmed, because they sounded real... maybe someone was getting murdered? Then I remembered. This is a college town. The nights are hot, and so are the ladies. The fact that I do that sort of thing quietly sometimes makes me forget that other folks don't (including my next door neighbor; I could hear her through the bathroom doors once). Since it seemed to be fairly continuous, with no really coherent "NO!" sounds, it was most likely sex.

That's one of the rough parts about this relationship. For another month, I'm on my own. I swear, my physical contact (hugs, etc.) this summer has been nearly as low as it was when I was when I was at Whitcomb. And back then, I was a ghost, a shadow... a subtle curiosity. Those years were traumatizing, and I keep coming back to them again and again. Maybe I'll start disregarding them when I have kids of my own.

Funny thing... even with all the loneliness I go through, there's still those times when I get overwhelmed by the love. I can never find a reason for it - Case is usually in bed when I feel it, but wow... I wonder if it's when he dreams about me, if there's some sort of psychic connection there. I daresay we've had that sort of coincidence before - like when we were prepping for him to go home, the first time he visited. I took a shower one day, and he the day after. We discovered that while we were showering, the same song was running through our heads and making us sad - "I'm Going Home" from the Rocky Horror Picture Show soundtrack. Crazy, yes?

And now I'm going home - because home is where he is. And you may think I'm crazy, not only for changing my location so dramatically, but going somewhere where there's little to no winter. The heaviest jacket I'm bringing is my leather one. And I'm complaining about global warming here, aren't I? But here's the thing - Burlington is on a lake. The humidity is insane. There are also mosquitoes that breed well in such humidity. Palmdale, on the other hand, is in the desert. Dry heat, little to no mosquitoes. And they have a pool in the backyard - I plan to swim on a fairly regular basis, since the opportunity is there. There is also the hot-tub, for the cooler nights - Gretchen-tested and approved!

Sleep solid,
Grety

2 comments:

Grety said...

PS: I just noticed that this blog is on California time... coincidence? Just one of many.

Ryan Georgi said...

I don't think you're crazy for moving across the country, or for leaving blustery snows behind. I'm glad to watch you follow your heart, to see you accept your freedom to do such things.

I just think you're crazy for moving to California! ;P

*hugs*