Friday, August 3, 2007

Impulse Power

Right now everything is sweaty and sluggish. I was so tired from work, that I wanted to have a drink. And I didn't want to do it alone, so I called Cyrus up. With a little prodding, I managed to convince him to come up here so we could have a drink together. We ran into Josie, a girl from our high school days, when we were trying to get into the Daily Planet - that was a surprise. We stopped at another bar before deciding to go out and get a 12-pack from Pearl St. Beverages and bring it back here.

Eight beers were consumed during the night - three of them were consumed by me, and I could feel them. It's been a while since I've had a beer, let alone three, so I was nice and buzzed and a tad unsteady. We watched "Sin City", which Cyrus had never seen before - I was surprised at that, since that film has been out for a while. We watched, and drank, and sweated; let me tell you, it's hot in a room with another person around... I remember it from when Case stayed here, and Griffin, but back then the weather was cooler outside.

Cyrus is staying the night - has to get up early so he can move his car from where it's parked (or else get ticketed). Odd, having another person here... with Griffin, it was one thing, since he and I have been on close but platonic terms since we've known each other. But Cyrus... I'm taking the couch, since I've been sleeping on it a lot, and he's on my bed, which I made up just for him. It's strange... not like the years have been turned back, and I'm seventeen again... but still. I'm such a different person now, and probably he is too... but he's still attracted to me. Nothing came of it, mind you... and nothing ever will - my heart is completely sure on that count.

But I remember. We remembered a lot tonight. Good times that we had. Apologizing for the pain we caused each other. Maybe there's resolution, maybe not. In a month, it won't matter too much - most of our communcation will be done here, anyway. That's all right with me.

Anyway, the title... it's because I invited Cyrus up here on impulse. It was one thing when he was already going to be up here for Drinking Liberally, but this was different. And I even made the effort to tidy... it'll probably help out later, when I'm packing. I used to never do things on impulse - there were too many variables to consider, most of the time. But tonight I felt like I needed a drink, and that I needed a drinking companion - Nick was headed to Cape Cod, Jacob probably wouldn't have wanted company, Will has been almost more problematic than Cyrus, Carolyn's in New York, and I don't think Amanda and Rich drink too much. And I was encouraged by the way things went the night before, down at the waterfront.

So here I am. Let's hope more breezes come in.

Overheated but all right,
Grety

No comments: