Thursday, August 2, 2007

Strange Days

By far, this has been one of the strangest.

First, the bed. For some reason, the bed is being hostile to me. I can't get comfortable on it on these hot days. I tried sleeping on it last night. Just before I woke up, it gave me a dream. I was lying on my bed, about ready to get up, and I hear a kitten. I remember thinking, "I hope they let me keep it, I'm only here for another month - what will they do, kick me out early?" I also wondered what I'd do with it afterwards, because I probably shouldn't take a kitten moving across country. Then the kitten jumped on my bed. It looked to be a striped kitten, cute... until it looked at me head-on. And then I saw it had three heads. Not three cute kitten heads, three mutant heads. I was repulsed. I felt pity for it, because I knew that it couldn't help the way it was born. And I wondered what I could do with it - I couldn't get up, because it was walking on my chest.

Then I woke up. That dream haunted me for the rest of the day.

Second was at work. Lenscrafters has this program with CCV - students going into the optician field come to our lab to work on stuff. Most of these students are women, but there's one guy - his name is Adam. He and I get along really well - most folks probably aren't surprised by that - but he works on Tuesdays, and I haven't worked on Tuesdays for a while. I was talking with my supervisor, Susie, about schedule changes. She was going to scribble me out for next Tuesday, but I protested - besides the good hours, I would have liked to work with Adam. Not a minute after she and talked about him - he walks in. He worked until 4:30 today, and I was pleased and surprised.

Third was at my lunch break. I checked my phone - I had kept in my locker because the Regional Manager was in this morning, so I wouldn't want the phone on me then. I saw that I had a call from Jacob and my parents. I called back my parents, and found out that they were in town, and were looking for me at my apartment. I asked them to come to the mall to talk. I waited for them outside, in the 90-degree weather, and called Case (as I usually do on my breaks). While talking with him, Cyrus called, but I couldn't answer (since I don't have the hang of call-waiting yet). After talking with Case, I called Cyrus. As I talk with him, my dad shows up - from behind me, from the mall. Apparently they went to the wrong door. I promised to call Cyrus back, then followed him through the mall to the car. Mom and Rowan were there - I told them about Case being able to come to the wedding, and the asphalt stuck in my back tire, and how Case will help me buy new tires. Dad said that he would look up the make/model of my one good driving tire, so we could get three more instead of four. Due to the talk with my folks, however, I came back three minutes before my break was up, so I couldn't eat. I missed eating with Adam, too.

After I got off from work, I called Cyrus and arranged to meet him at American Flatbread at 9:30. Lots of time, then, so I decided to come home and eat. After eating, I got sleepy, so I took a nap.

Fourth weirdness - my couch. This is what I've been sleeping on more and more often these days. It's just felt more comfortable, for whatever reason, even though I haven't been stretching out fully. I napped on it, interrupted only once by Case, and just before I woke up for good, I had another dream. In this one, Case asked me, very formally, if I would be his girlfriend. I felt happy, then I woke up, thinking "Not only will I be your girlfriend, I'll be your wife!" I might have even said that out loud as I got ready to go downtown.

Fifth - Cyrus. Last time I met with Cyrus, I was totally on edge. He made me nervous beyond understanding. This time, though... it was like with any of my other friends. We met at American Flatbread, then went down to the Waterfront and sat on one of those porch swings and talked about... life. We reminisced a bit on our relationship, all wonderful nostalgic memories. He even said that, during our relationship, that I was "great for him". That meant a lot to me. I felt I could talk to him about my plans with Case with no hesitation, and he congratulated me on my engagement. When we parted, we hugged - neither of us had had one in a while, and it felt good. I expect I'll see him later in the next couple of weeks, before I go.

So that was my weird day. Good things, bad things, but definitely eventful. And I'm pretty sure that tonight I'll be sleeping on the couch again, fan blowing on me because it's hotter than hell, hoping for those good dreams to return.

Stickily yours,
Grety


1 comment:

Grety said...

After the events of this morning, I might have some idea of what the three-headed cat stood for. It came to me while I was at work, and somehow it seemed to fit. No wonder it was such a haunting dream... the events of this morning have been even more haunting for me.