Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Midnight is an Early Bedtime...

Yet I'm hearing the call. It would be a better habit to pick up, instead of these insomniac nights ending up with me crashing on my mini-couch because it's more comfortable. If it ends up that I can't sleep on the mattress, though, I'll take the sheets off and pack them away, since I won't be needing them where I'm going.

Today... good shower in the morning, waking me up fully. I drove out the driveway and discovered that instead of a flat, which I had feared, my left rear tire had a big chunk of asphalt stuck in it. I have no idea where I got it, but I'd like to get rid of it. The Internet has been remarkably unhelpful until now, when I typed in "dissolves asphalt". It seems that both motor oil and acetone can wear it away, so maybe I'll put a dose of my oil on the goo. Hopefully it won't dissolve my tire as well.

The District Manager was at work today - his name is Tony. I've worked at Lenscrafters for nearly a year, and I had never met him. Because of him, I had to wear gloves while coating lenses... annoying. He replaced a broken belt on the generator - five minutes after he walks out of the store, THAT belt breaks. Susie spent all the rest of her time in the lab trying to put a new belt on and tighten it up... then, in the process of that, she must have jiggled something or other with the machine, because the buttons on the panel on the front wouldn't work. She also got a nice jab in the jaw by Dan when he was trying to help out. Not a great day for Susie - I stayed cool and calm for her sake. Lucky me, I get to work with her AND Tony again tomorrow morning.

Good news, though - Case will be coming to my cousin's wedding after all. It didn't look promising, because her wedding is on September 1 - the Saturday before Labor Day. Labor Day is a big day for the Frito Lay distributors (which Case is part of), so the weekend before is very busy. But no! Case will be able to come at his leisure, and I'll be able to receive his aid in packing, as well as take him out to dinner at the little restaurant Nick and I discovered a couple weeks ago, tucked in the middle of a building behind American Flatbread. It's called the Blue Cat Café, opened sometime last fall (according to Seven Days). It serves Italian cuisine, including gelato! It's also advertised as a wine bar, so it might be a nice place for my mom and dad to go (especially since Mom's been to Italy); they serve beer as well, I had Blackbeary Wheat.

Case is also going to help me buy new tires for the road trip. He insists on splitting the costs, and who am I to argue with my fiancé? I'm just glad he'll make it out here, so we can have some time alone together while I still consider myself a resident of Burlington.


... before I sleep, I want to tell you that since I'm moving away from all of the people I'm familiar with (save one, of course), I feel the need to clear the slate. For good or for ill, the people I've gotten to know these college years have affected my life; thusly, all good feelings are recognized, and all bad feelings are forgiven. I also hope that you will forgive me for my own transgressions - I'm older and wiser now, and well aware that problems will always surround me, but I'll do my best not to make them worse than they should be.

I'll miss you all.

Until we meet again,
Grety

No comments: